Tuesday 31 August 2010

This Blog... 'Made with some friends from Google'

Yes, Arcade Fire are like the supercoolest mofos ever. I know this.. and I know technology is way cool. Plus emotions and that; they're well heavy these days. Sorry, emo and that.

So put it all together and you get a heart twanging song and images from Google Earth from the place you grew up in... Yes YOU! What me? how do they know? they're actually singing about my memories! (because I gave them my postcode) and it's like, aaah.. I'm (like tons of folk on twitter) 'touched' - what a beautiful, modern day, progressive experimental yet fervent experience that is unlikely to work in Firefox, works-ish in Safari, but will definitely warm your cynical core when viewed correctly in Google Chrome!

So why not try it? just don't do what I did, ie. can't remember the postcode from the street I grew up in.. tap in current address, sway gently to the music and then see that fucking heap of a van those wankers keep leaving right outside my front door.

... to remedy this I watched Straight Outta Compton it also has cool music and a kind of geographic feel.

Anyway, it's Arcade Fire's job to create weird stuff, and on this occasion, Chris Milk's job to create an experience to accompany it.. and it's my job to.. not do this.. but hey, we're all doing it with 'some friends at Google'

But forget what I've said, AF explain it all fully themselves!

The Wilderness Machine

"A postcard is created by an analog signal: you. This site takes that postcard and converts it to digital. The Wilderness Machine brings it back to analog...."

ok... that's pointless. I promise to come and see you on tour if you say something even weirder..

....."Look for it on tour with the band in North America. If you're lucky enough to get someone's postcard from it, plant it. A tree will grow out of it."

I'm in!